Counting Down The Pounds

Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Yo-Yo Dieting

I don't consider myself a yo-yo dieter, even though I've tried numerous weight loss solutions.  I'm not a yo-yo because the most I've ever managed to lose is maybe 10lbs and then I fall off the bandwagon.

You see, I'm an instant gratification kind of girl.  If I can't finish a task in the time frame I've envisioned, then I put it away and don't come back to it for some time.

This is true with sewing projects, scrapbooking, household improvements, and yes, weight loss. 

My need for instant gratification is why I stepped on the scale after only six days instead of waiting for the one month weigh in (as I'd initially planned).  I was rewarded with a 4.8lb loss in those six days which gave me the momentum I needed to go forward.  I'm going to try to limit myself to one weigh in a week.

Normally, I avoid the scale because I don't want to know what it says (denial!) and I also know I have the tendency to become obsessive.  If I don't keep myself in check, I'll be on the scale every morning and it will take over my life.

For those who are wondering about long term maintenance, I have a plan.  I know how to eat healthy.  I know about portion control.  I can name off the fat and calorie content of most any food.  I simply have to gain control over my emotional and social eating.  This plan is helping me get there.

No comments:

Post a Comment