Counting Down The Pounds

Saturday, May 12, 2012

My Grain Free Life

I'm really liking how I feel sans grains (and refined sugar).  My body is happier (it tells me so).  I'm trying to break my scale addiction, so I won't weigh in again for at least another week. . . maybe longer.  I'm going to restart the 21 Day Sugar Detox on Monday (I've had a bit of cheese and occasionally a second piece of fruit or a nip of dark chocolate here and there).  My pants are getting looser and looser, to the point that I'll have to dig out the 12's again soon. Right now I'm walking around with saggy butt syndrome.

This weekend I'm making the choice to not eat 100% fabulously. . . it is Mother's Day after all and I'm having some hormonal issues (or mental issues. . . whatever you want to call it, I'm not pregnant again. . . 18 cycles later and it's getting a bit difficult to deal with).   So, I'm going to have a bit of healthier treats here and there and start the detox anew on Monday.  I'm happy with this decision and know it's just what I need (emotionally speaking) right now.

For lunch, I had an all natural (no sugar) bratwurst sausage and a few organic apple slices.  It was delicious.  I should have some veggies as well but I don't feel like it.  I've actually been eating a lot of veggies but I've found that if I do have "treats" I tend to not want as many veggies.  Weird but true.  I was planning to fast today but I only made it until 1PM.  We will see how the rest of the day goes.

I was just comparing the 21 Day Sugar Detox to the Atkins Induction Phase and I think they are pretty darn similar.  Eat protein, healthy fats, and veggies.  My brain needs a bit of carb/starch (like a banana) after my workout or I hit a big slump.  I have noticed a significant slump mid afternoon and I need to figure out if that's because I need a bit more carbohydrate or if its not diet related at all.

All in all, I feel really good. . . my skin is great. . . no break outs. . . no need for lotion or lip balms (I'm an addict).  This is due to adequate water intake, adequate healthy fat intake (yay for real pastured butter and coconut oil), and no depleting foods in my diet (soda, sugar, processed stuff).

For a reformed vegetarian it is quite a feat to say. . . I like meat.  I don't even mind cooking it anymore (raw meat used to gross me out).  Maybe that's because I feel healthier than I ever have in my life.  I'm wondering how I'll do morning sickness wise when I do conceive again. . . in my previous pregnancies I've had hyperemesis for 16-20 weeks and lost a significant amount of weight (my first OB actually sent me to a nutritionist like it was my fault!).

My kids are loving the grain free life as well.  Giving up breakfast cereal has been the hardest on them, but since I'm the mean Mama that only allowed it once or twice a week it hasn't been a terrible adjustment.

Here's to optimal health! 

No comments:

Post a Comment