Counting Down The Pounds

Monday, December 6, 2010

Long Plateau & HCG Protocol

There has been so much going on in my crazy world, that weight loss took a backseat.  The good news is, I managed to maintain my August weight over the last four months with no gain.  I continued to weigh weekly to make sure I was within a pound of that weight.  

Overall, I'm much less hungry and much more aware of portion sizes.  I'm not snacking and I'm not eating junk.  On the occasion that I want a treat, a very small portion does the trick.  I have no doubt that if I had continued to eat only clean meals of lean protein + complex carb + veggies, I'd have lost quite a bit more weight over the last four months.  That said, I've been enjoying my Dutch Bros mocha's a bit too much.

I decided drastic was called for in order to get my brain back into the full functioning/weight loss mode.  So, I started the HCG Protocol.  The first two days are known as "gorge days" and I tell you, I couldn't eat half of what was suggested (probably because I'm not used to high fat/junk foods).  Day three was my first VLCD (500 calories) and I did okay.  I'd been sick over the weekend (because of gorge + hcg start or flu, I don't know) so the first VLCD was pretty easy.  However, today finds me starving... I'm thinking about food nonstop.  It's physical hunger and a psychological battle over WANTING to eat.

My biggest fear (other than hunger) is boredom... on the HCG diet the following foods are avaliable with NO exceptions.

2 servings of 100 grams lean protein (one each at lunch and dinner)-chicken, fish, lean beef, shrimp
2 vegetables (not mixed, one each at lunch and dinner)- spinach, chard, chicory, beet-greens, green salad, tomatoes, celery, fennel, onions, red radishes, cucumbers, asparagus, cabbage.
2 fruits (one each at lunch and dinner, or if needed, have the lunch one at breakfast) apple, half grapefruit, orange, or handful of strawberries.
2 Melba Toasts (one each at lunch and dinner or use as snacks between).
1 Tbs milk
Stevia
Juice of one lemon
Pure spices (check for sugars, starches, etc...)
Black coffee
Tea (no fruits added)
Water

Today's 500 calorie line up:

Breakfast- cup of black chai tea + 1 Tbs milk + 1 stevia packet with a Melba Toast 45 cals
AM snack- I enjoyed four strawberries sliced, sprinkled with a bit of stevia    30 cals
Lunch- 100 grams tilapia cooked w/lemon slices, black pepper, salt, garlic + asparagus 125 cals
Dinner- 100 grams chicken + 1/2 cup chicken broth + 1/4 head cabbage seasoned with black pepper, garlic, + salt.  Melba Toast and a sliced apple. 265 cals + 15 cals juice of one lemon
daily total= 480cals

In between meals, I've enjoyed 3 glasses of lemonade because my queasy tummy isn't liking plain water (1/3 of the lemon, squeezed, 1 packet stevia, iced water).  I'm not a big tea fan, but found spiced tea to be palatable when I add stevia to it. 

Here's to staying positive... and winning the mind battle over food. 

*Side note* When I fully implement the Eat Clean Diet, I am NOT hungry and have no issues with portion control or cravings.  This HCG diet is more of a test than anything, plus I'd love to see if it really does help target that belly fat I can't seem to get rid of!

*I've met my first weight loss goal, so I've updated my ticker to my final goal weight.

No comments:

Post a Comment